A week into this thing called student teaching and I was thrown into it. Head first..no time to think.
In other words, I taught my first lesson to the first class I picked up. The way my teaching assignment works is that I pick up one class a week until I get up to four classes (for all you math hatas out there..in a month I'll be teaching 4 classes). I just have to do one prep for all my classes and add in modifications when necessary.
The day started out well, I thought I was super prepared and ready to tackle anything these kids threw my way. AND THEN I got in front of a class with 30 pairs of eyes staring at me. Danggg...this was not written in my lesson plan! Anywho..I pushed forward, introduced myself (in a way that I hope conveyed a firm yet caring nature) and plunged into my first assignment..analyzing the prologue of Romeo and Juliet. (Which PS-is my absolute LEAST favorite thing ever. ENGL 312 ruined it for me. Sad.)
Yeahhh...definitely did not go as written on my paper! I know that I did an OK job, I know that I'll get better as time passes and the kids warm up to me. In that moment after teaching, it was hard not to be discouraged; however, I am adamant to maintain a positive attitude. I marked down what we covered that day, packed up my binder, and then I went home to REALLY prepare for teaching this lesson. Now, I have every single word/phrase marked, problem areas highlighted, and tips from Ms. Ellis written in the margins.
Nothing prepared me for how silent students are with a new person. I know that respect is first demanded and trusting comes with time. I'm going to get better and the fabulous teacher in me will emerge. I don't doubt that this won't take long..especially once I use my own plans. Tomorrow is a new day, and my lesson will be better the second time. These kids are in for a wonderful adventure!
NEXT UP: Finishing the prologue, reading Act I and rewriting it in slang to be performed in front of the class
Emily Broussard this is absolutely amazing! I love the basis of your blog. This will help me to keep up on the whole student-teaching process of your life. I love you and miss seeing your face!
ReplyDelete