Friday, January 27, 2012

Another week gone

I survived another week of adventures in the realm of student teaching!

Top 3 things I need to work on the most:
1. INSTRUCTIONS...must repeat, and repeat, and then repeat again.
2. DELIVERY..I strive to be an animated, fun lecturer. That's not what always comes out though.
3. PROCEDURES..I have no idea how to set procedures. No time like the present to learn!

I love my students at the high school, but they still view me as the "student-teacher". With that mentality, comes a little lack of respect and an attitude of challenge. They don't want to work and they don't want me to tell them to. But we get past that. I don't really care what they WANT to do or if they like me that particular day. I'm there to teach them and educate them. I try to make it as fun as possible, but sometimes the menial tasks are just boring. I'll pick up 2 more classes next week for a grand total of teaching 3 hours/day. As I teach each day, I gain more confidence. I'm ready to tackle on these next 2 classes!

This week was an exciting week. On Wednesday, Coach Dale Brown came to school. He is a phenomenal speaker. He really motivated me! I hope his message also go through to the students. The next day there was a small fire in one of the buildings. It was contained, but it messed up the entire day. I was supposed to teach 2 classes..I taught none. But that's ok! Friday (today) I got the amazing opportunity to travel with the Drill Squad to 2 different schools to watch them perform a Black History skit. Those kids are so amazing. They really know the meaning of discipline, and it has paid off. They were this year's Disney Step Classic National Winners. That's an amazing honor. And last, but not least..My cooperating teacher won the LEF award!! It's an extraordinary honor. We jokingly call it the "teacher grammy", but that's not too far off. She really deserves it. The things she does for the students are far above the call of her job. She's so inspiring. I know she will prepare me for my own classroom.

Up next: reading Act III in Shakespearean language (what a challenge!)

No comments:

Post a Comment