It's so surreal to begin my last semester ever as a college undergraduate. For the past 4 1/2 years I have been preparing for this very moment. I've studied, passed tests & classes, created lesson plans, formatted activities, and observed over 150 hours in a classroom. On top of all this, I also interned as a librarian and completed all coursework needed to get my librarian certification. But what I haven't done is teach a lesson, interact with students, and generally ENJOY a life as an educator.
All that changes now (or more specifically..last week).
For the next 4 months I'll be a student teacher at Northside High School (NHS) with Ms. Ellis teaching English I. The beginning of the end starts now. A few things I refuse to do are as follows: believe I am a bad teacher, be discouraged when my lessons don't go the plotted route or the students don't respond (sometimes it's like pulling teeth..), show favoritism, & be disrespected.
The requirements are intense: I have to do everything the teacher does. I'll be eventually teaching 4 hours a day. I'll be at NHS from 7:00am-2:20pm every Monday-Friday.
Last Tuesday marked my first day on campus. And it went AMAZINGLY WELL. My cooperating teacher is amazing. She's one of those teachers that are clearly the favorite on campus. Both students and teacher frequently come to her for advice on a wide variety of subjects. She's also attained her masters in teaching education so she really knows what she's doing. My favorite part is that she read my teaching philosophy and discussed with me so she can help shape me into the teacher I want to become instead of anything she could place on me.
Ready or not...my life as an educator begins. Time to start changing lives and impacting students
No comments:
Post a Comment