Monday, April 2, 2012

Lessons from my last semester

About 3 months ago, I started student teaching. It has been a crazy wild including everything from health problems to a death of a friend, but also including moments of breakthrough and impacting students. It doesn't always FEEL like I'm making a difference. It doesn't always FEEL like I'm improving. And it doesn't always FEEL like I was created for this job. Regardless of what my emotions tell me, I KNOW that this is what I'm supposed to be doing and this is where I'm supposed to be. It's an overwhelming amazing experience (best semester ever!).

One of the things I struggle with is the issue of racism in the school. It's more prevalent than I would like to admit or even believe. I had to overcome stereotypes imposed on myself in order to reach these students. Assumptions that I wouldn't care or relate ran rampant my first few months there. It was a tough wall to break down, and at times I didn't think I could. But all things are possible with God. ALL THINGS.

It's weird to think about graduating. I've become so immersed in this school that I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE. It's such an amazing school and wonderful things are happening. I went on several interviews as part of Teacher Recruitment Day at UL. I got excellent feedback from all of them. It is so strange to be thinking about beginning a career..not just some mediocre job that I secretly and constantly long for the day that I can quit. Even with all the crazy politics happening, I know that teaching is the career I should choose, and I know I will enjoy my profession.

Looking back on this experience and college as a whole, I hope that I've made an impact. I hope that someone, somewhere benefited from my hard work and perseverance. These are the same goals and hopes that I have for my future. Not only are these goals for myself, but I hope that I can encourage and inspire students along the way to do the same.

24 days left to the end of student teacher. 40 left until I graduate.
This calls for a celebration! A big one!

1 comment:

  1. "Even with all the crazy politics happening, I know that teaching is the career I should choose . . ." Ya know, I bet there's not nearly as much politicking in the cupcake business! ; )

    ReplyDelete