Last week was an incredible week. I did a characterization activity that really tested my classroom management skills. The class was divided into 4-5 groups based on proximity and each group was handed a different wallet or purse. They had to take the contents out and create a person based on the wallet/purse's appearance and contents. As usual, they made the assignment a bit harder than it should have been. Eventually, they all got it and were working well. The next morning a QuickWrite was given to them: "Suppose I put the contents into each wallet/purse for a specific reason in order to make you think of a specific type of person. What would that tell you about the definition of CHARACTERIZATION?"
Exciting things happened the rest of the week unrelated to actual curriculum. The state superintendent came into the classroom along with KATC. We were not warned who was coming in and were not told who he was when he walked in. He brought some other important people with him. They interviewed some of the students about the school and Ms. Ellis.
I'm slowly gaining comfort and ease when lecturing and disciplining. The kids do pushups when they cuss or do something minor that's inappropriate. One part of my teaching philosophy is not to send kids out of the room for just every little thing. I believe that the class needs to be managed by the teacher. I feel like it'll gain me respect as well as increase instructional time for everyone. Of course, that's not always possible, but it is a goal I strive for.
I talked with my teacher after school one day about how to approach the rest of the semester. I know I need the kids to know that I care. That will help the classroom environment tremendously. They're not quick to trust though. It's something I have to work hard and intentionally on. My teacher has made up a plan that will help me with this. It's so important to my teaching philosophy to allow my students to understand quickly that I care. I don't want to be their friend, but I can be a mentor when/if they need one. Perhaps the most encouraging statement came last week. My teacher told me I have great classroom management skills and she is wanting me to see how she handles winning LEF teacher of the year because she can see me winning that prestigious honor in the future. It is definitely one of my goals!
I will begin teaching Of Mice and Men soon. It's an exciting time to be a student teacher at NHS. Many good/positive changes are coming! I love the new administration so much. Our philosophies are very similar and it makes working with them easy and enjoyable.
No comments:
Post a Comment